Buscar este blog

domingo, 19 de febrero de 2012

SUGGESTIONS, OPINIONS, AGREEMENT AND DISAGREEMENT

[This post is really intended as a help for speaking communication, but of course there are things here that you can use in writing, provided you are aware of some facts: Is it expression or interaction? Are you sure you aren't using something informal in a writing formal context?]


These language functions are basic and (almost) always come up in your oral exams. So let’s see whether you can use more variety little by little. But I suggest that you don’t try to memorise all of this!

Note: I have used a different approach in each section.

SUGGESTIONS

Making suggestions

1) WHAT ABOUT/HOW ABOUT ... + Base form + -ING

What about going to the pictures tonight?// What about a drink?
How about going to the pictures tonight?// How about a walk?

2) WHY + Negative

Why don't we go to the swimming pool tomorrow?

3) IMPERATIVE: Let's + Base form

Let's go to the restaurant now!

4) COULD

We could visit Paris next week.

5) COULDN’T…?

Couldn’t we invite my cousin to the party?

6) SUGGEST
I suggest you/ we go to a movie// I suggest we should go to a movie.

7) SHALL

Shall we have a cup of tea?

8) WHAT… SAY?
What would you say to a cup of coffee?

9) DON’T YOU THINK…?

Don’t you think it’s a good idea to do the washing up?

10) MIGHT

We might as well stay home tonight.

Accepting suggestions

·  Ok. Yes, let's do that.
·  Yes, I'd like to.
·  Yes, I'd love to.
·  What a great/ fantastic/ good idea!
·  Why not?
·  Yes, with pleasure.
·  Yes, I feel like taking a walk/ doing that.
·  That sounds like a good idea.  
·  Sounds great to me!

Refusing suggestions
  • No, let's not do that// No, let’s do something else.
  • No, I'd rather not// What about doing something else, is that ok?
  • I don't feel like it// I don’t feel like doing that, sorry.
  • I dislike going for a walk.
  • What an awful / bad idea!
  • I’m not too keen on that, sorry.

OPINIONATING

Asking for opinions

·     What do you think of X?
·     What’s your opinion of X?
·     How do you feel about X?
·     I was wondering what your opinion of X was? [tentative]
·     I was wondering where you stood on the question of X? [formal]
·     What about X? [informal]
·     What do you reckon to X? [informal]


Expressing personal opinions

·     I (really) (don’t) think (that) (+ SENTENCE)
·     In my opinion, (+ SENTENCE)
·     From my point of view, (I think) (that) (+ SENTENCE)
·     Personally, (I think) (that) (+ SENTENCE)
·     I’m absolutely convinced that (+ SENTENCE)
·     As far as I’m concerned, (+ SENTENCE)
·     I may be wrong, but (+ SENTENCE)
·     It would seem to me that (+ SENTENCE) [tentative]
·     As far as I’m able to judge, (+ SENTENCE) [tentative]
·     As I see it, (+ SENTENCE) [direct]
·     Frankly, (I think) (+ SENTENCE) [direct]
·     To be perfectly honest, (+ SENTENCE) [direct]
·     I don’t believe for a minute that (+ SENTENCE) [strong]
·     If you ask me, (+ SENTENCE) [informal]
·     I reckon (+ SENTENCE) [informal]


Expressing agreement

·     (Yes, I think) that’s right.
·     I’d go along with you on that.
·     I’d go along with you there.
·     I take your point.
·     I tend to agree (with that). [tentative]
·     (Yes,) I’d tend to agree with you on that / there. [tentative]
·     Yes, definitely. [direct]
·     I quite / completely / strongly agree with you on that / there. [direct and strong]
·     I couldn’t agree more! [direct and strong]
·     I’m with you on that / there. [informal]


Expressing disagreement

·     Do you really think so?
·     Maybe, but (+ SENTENCE) *
·     I wouldn’t go along with you there / on that. [tentative]
·     I’m not sure about that. [tentative]
·     I’m not sure I agree with that. [tentative]
·     I’m not really sure if I would agree / go along with you there / on that. [tentative]
·     I wouldn’t agree. [direct]
·     I can’t accept that. [direct and strong]
·     I quite / completely / strongly disagree with you on that / there. [direct and strong]
·     You can’t be serious. [strong; informal]
·     You must be joking. [strong; informal]
·     Are you kidding? [strong; informal]

 ……………………………………………………………………………….
  
* This is one of the cases where you can add ‘For one thing, (+ SENTENCE); for another, (+ SENTENCE)’, to at least give two reasons.

N.B.

If you’d like to get a basic, sound start, it may be a good idea to basically concentrate on the blue structures (subjectively, they sound to me broadly commoner and/or easier).

When you say something tentatively, you soften your view and don’t express strong feelings.

Of course there may be similar combinations. Thus, you tend to leave out ‘that’ in informal English and not to do so in formal English.

At exams, don’t use really formal English when the situation is neutral or, of course, informal.


3 comentarios:

  1. Good moorning Manuel. I'm Carmen Martín.
    Might I ask you a question?

    Is there any difference when using also, too, as well and even in Inglish?

    I work every day on Sundays too
    I work every day also on Sundays
    I work every day even on Sundays
    I work every day on Sundays as well.

    Thanks a lot for answering me, if you want to.
    I want to apologize for bothering you.
    Best regards,
    Carmen Martin

    ResponderEliminar
  2. A new post from ALPOZO'S PHONETIC BLOG:

    http://allphonetics.blogspot.com.es/

    Carmen Martín

    ResponderEliminar