Buscar este blog

sábado, 15 de octubre de 2011

BEING A REALISTIC LEARNER


When learning English, you always need to be realistic. The lack of realism is the main source of frustration.

Are you asking yourself or your lessons or your group’s teacher for too much? Are your expectations realistic?

Some of you are better than others at learning a foreign language. Each student’s abilities will never be the same in a group. Some people need more extra practice than others - for example, a few of you intend to be English teachers, and that implies to be all the time learning a lot about teaching and a lot about English, maybe for the rest of your lives. Some others would like to be provided with the possibility to teach other subjects in English. But you cannot become a fluent speaker overnight. Some social pressures are certainly unrealistic.

Some people really want to learn English, or need it to a certain degree. Others simply would like to do so because they think it is a good idea, but are not really willing or prepared to make the effort. Your likes and motivation are extremely important. I have always seen that the people who learn are the people who really want to learn.

Again, some people have more time for learning than others, or actively take the time to do this because it is one of their priorities. Decide whether you are going to practice your English outside the classroom.

When I give you a list of very useful self-study books,  you also have to decide if you are going to learn with them. It cannot be the same for every one of you.

Constancy, perseverance and regularity are an excellent policy when it comes to learning a foreign language. But then again you have to be realistic and accept facts. Slowly but surely, as the proverb goes. Are you sure you constantly review and do your homework? It is your working with English that will improve it. I’ll give you so many tips, but they won’t be magical formulas.

Of course, having good linguistic abilities helps a lot. But it is only natural that being good enough at languages and wanting to learn usually go hand in hand. I myself have learnt and am learning several languages because English, language, languages and linguistics are my cup of tea, my hobby and my way to make a living. But everybody has their own objectives. You might just as well have rather humble, simple goals. What are they? It is not important or even possible to know them well in advance, but just for the present and near future. It is not realistic to say, “I’d like to be able to understand everything in an English film”, or “I want to communicate perfectly in English by next year.” It is simply not possible, and you need to be aware of and accept it.

It has always been a matter of wonder why Spaniards’ abilities for language in general are so poor. I could give you a few reasons and thousands of examples, but that is not the point here. The point here is what you (an individual) can and want to do about your English now.

English will never be your first language. So what? It can certainly give you a lot of pleasure all the same. Instead, small goals are definitely sensible. Of course you want to experience progress, and being aware of it is certainly pleasurable. Actually, many of you will increasingly find it very satisfying to learn English little by little, and a few of you will even have the knowledge and sensitivity to appreciate how intrinsically wonderful this language happens to be. I think learning is possible without ‘fun’, but having fun helps a lot; if you get pleasure, you’ll want to go on. But I think this doesn’t only depend on your teacher. For example, if you love, say, history, you’ll find it pleasurable to watch good history documentaries or read good history books - which can be enjoyed because they aren’t too difficult to basically understand!

Some Spanish people I have met abroad are not particularly good at English but can communicate more because they are not afraid to speak. So being bold (social abilities) and accepting you are not a native do help. In fact, you end up with better linguistic abilities after you have tried to communicate more or less successfully. After all, for most of you English is only a means for communication, not (also) an area of study in itself as for linguists and teachers. So, if you want to communicate, do try - you have nothing to lose, and much to win. You will see that if you have a good attitude to people they will normally want to help you.

Be honest. Do you want to learn English, pass your exams, or both? In any of the three cases, you are not a beginner any more and you do need to do something apart from regular/occasional group’s lessons. But then again, you may be sensible and realistic and tell yourself, ‘OK, I’m not using the means to my aim, but it doesn’t really matter - I accept that.’

I know today’s society tells you you can and must achieve anything you like now. But the thing is, this is the reason for a lot of misunderstandings, wish-frustration and lack of objectivity and realism. Wishes are simply limitless, like dreams (real dreams and daydreaming).

Just to make yourself the right questions and specify your own realistic goals and see what you can realistically practice / study / learn / improve, and how you are going to do it. You don’t have to know exactly. And It will pay you well. What is the worst thing that can happen to you? Is not that other people’s case? Will it be the end of your world? Everybody tends to think it will, in a way, but then realiizes it is not, and, curiously enough, you will very often find yourself thinking, ‘Again, it’s just as well that my wishes didn’t come true.’ This usually happen to me … and my students.

I will go on trying to help you with your learning, but I cannot learn for you. And you know that.

6 comentarios:

  1. Congratulations for your article. I agree with your opinion about the need of having realistic expectations to be able to learn English.
    I'm a mature student of English and I've been learning it for seven years. I haven't studied English but I've been able to "live my daily life in English" as long as I could: listening to the radio, watching television and movies, reading books, magazines, newspapers, comic trips, stories, going to the theatre, trying to understand the lyrics of my preferred songs, writing, speaking and, eventually, thinking in English too.
    I reckon the best way to learn or to enhance a language, being a mature student, is to become "a little obsessed” with it; in this case doing in English everything you love to do in your mother tongue. During these seven years I’ve made contact with English every day, enjoying everything I was doing.
    I know I usually make not only serious but silly mistakes too when writing and speaking English; but I’m already able to communicate with native speakers. When we are learning a new language –in our case English- we have double personality and we have to feed this new personality with varied English activities every day.
    Learning English is only possible being motivated and spending enough time practising it.
    Don’t forget: “PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT” and “When there is a will there is a way and when the mind is ready a teacher appears, English people say.
    Carmen Martín (no tengo el don de la ubicuidad aunque lo parezca.

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Thanks a lot for your comment, Carmen. I can't agree more.

    No, noboby's ubiquitous, but I've read you at ecodocente.blogspot, I guess? Must be there! What a blog our JL thought up! Well, I'll watch out for you! Guarda che luna, guarda che mare... any connection with the song? Anyway, a happy coincidende: in the meantime I've changed the screen... to a snapshot of the universe and some fish on our moon, as you can see now! For I new blogger working on his own... :)

    Your English is REALLY advanced. So far no mistakes, but everyone makes them. You CAN and DO use and enjoy your English quite a lot, so...

    Thnx again.

    ResponderEliminar
  3. Of course you did! And I misread it as the intended thing, comic trips, which I hope you make or have made.

    ResponderEliminar
  4. Thanks a lot for your nice words.
    I've chosen Look at that moon! -my Resources for learning English blog's name- in memoriam or in honour of my parents and aunt.
    When I was a child my mother and aunt used to play with me looking for the facial features of the moon and animated shapes among the stars, at the moonlight. My family used to teach us -my siblings and me- how to learn with pleasure about everything. That was their passion.
    And, BTW, we have been enjoying it.....since then.
    There is a great coincidence between your screen and mine...!
    Have a good Sunday!
    Carmen

    ResponderEliminar
  5. BTW, I love the song Guarda che luna, guarda che mare...
    Carmen
    If anyone wants to find out which is the song we are talking about, click the link below, please:
    http://www.italetras.com/2009/12/guarda-che-luna-fred-buscaglione-cover.html

    ResponderEliminar